Monday, May 17, 2010

The Supper Menu & A Recipe

I've been a little out of sorts during the past few weeks, hence the absence from posting on my blog. With little league softball and baseball seasons beginning to wind down and a few other things coming to an end I hope I'll get sorted out and begin posting more regularly.

Recently, I have been preparing and freezing meals for a little surgery scheduled within the next couple weeks. OG will be responsible for the kitchen while I recover. I've managed to put 4 meals into the freezer for her to thaw and prepare.

tuna casserole ( http://herpeculiarlife.blogspot.com/2008/08/tuna-casserole.html ), green beans, salad
tacos w/ Mexican rice and beans
lasagna, garlic bread, salad
homemade pizzas, salad

During the next couple weeks, as I cook meals that freeze well, I will continue to make double batches so OG will be able to manage the kitchen with ease.

While sleeping Saturday night I cooked a pound of dried pinto beans in my crock pot. Yesterday, I turned them into Mexican beans and chili. Using my crock pot to do some advanced prep will make this week's supper plan quick, easy and economical. One pound of dried pinto beans, much more economical than canned refried pinto beans and canned chili, makes up enough Mexican beans and chili for three of this week's meals.

stir fried noodles ( http://herpeculiarlife.blogspot.com/2008/05/stir-fried-noodles.html ), egg rolls
fish tacos (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sandra-lee/crispy-fish-tacos-recipe/index.html), Mexican rice and beans
beef stroganoff, green beans, salad
chili dogs, French fries
chili mac, steamed broccoli & carrots, salad
homemade pizzas, salad
leftovers

I found the following cookie mix recipe in a Taste of Home Magazine years ago. It has proven to be one of the best "go to" mixes I keep on hand.

Quick Fix Cookie Master Mix
(makes 5 batches)

3 c. flour
2 1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 c. shortening
3 c. oats

Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking soda. Cut in shortening. Stir in oats until well mixed. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place or in freezer.

TO PREPARE COOKIES
pre-heat oven to 325 degrees

2 c. cookie mix
1 egg
1 Tbls. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. add-ins (nuts, chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, raisins, coconut, etc.)

Combine cookie mix and egg, milk and vanilla mixing well. Fold in add-ins. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto GREASED baking sheet. Bake at 325 degrees for 12-15 min. or until lightly golden.
For quick oatmeal cookies, eliminate add-ins and stir in 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon and 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg to dry cookie mix.
makes about 2 doz. cookies per batch


So, what's cookin' in your kitchen this week?

8 comments:

  1. I really love to cook...mostly from scratch. BUT...tuna is one thing that never touches my lips/
    I’ve enjoyed looking over your blog. I came across it through another blog I follow, and I’m glad I did. I am now a follower of yours as well. Feel free to look over my blog and perhaps become one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you've enjoyed my blog. I hope you continue to be blessed. Thank you for following me & I look forward to stopping by your blog for a visit.
    Regarding the tuna ... This tuna casserole recipe is the ONLY tuna casserole I'll eat. I also make it with only albacore tuna ...
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Finally! An update! I was wondering if I was ever going to read your words again!

    Missed you!

    BTW-did you cook anything extra for our trip to Georgia?

    LOL

    Love,
    MRS.A

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey My Dear Mrs. A,

    Not to disappoint you, but, I haven't prepared ANYTHING for our trip to "Georgia". I really should make Gage some cinnamon pecan rolls, but shhh ... don't say anything to him, if I run out of time and don't get them made he'll cry during our entire visit.

    Love you, sis!
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
  5. RIGHT!

    I need to get busy doin' some bakin' too. The time has snuck up on us.

    I am sooooo excited. I can't wait.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. It's nice we agree on the tuna. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mrs. M!

    Your blog post regarding the couple's blanket was such a hoot!

    I'm gald you stopped by for a visit.
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read my blog and leave a comment. I try my best to respond to each one. God Bless You, Mrs.B