Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Comparison Shopping


Almost two weeks ago I had a "medical procedure", aka heart ablation surgery to correct supra ventricle tachycardia (SVT), which was promptly followed by a terrible "cold?" ... stuffy head, achy joints, fever ... (words are not enough to express my gratitude to Mrs.A and Mrs.P for helping me through my recovery period). Any how, while recovering from both, I watched quite a bit of television or should I say more than a few television commercials ... where has all the television programing gone? 50 minutes of "movie" spliced into 70 minutes of commercials? .... Well, judging from the number of television commercials, it appears our local H.E. B. and Kroger grocers are having price wars.
With all the television competition these two seem have with each other, I decided that I would do a little comparison grocery shopping today. These two particular stores are located in the same town, with in half a mile of each other. Below are my personal findings ...
Store Atmosphere (scale 1-5; 1 being the worst):
H.E.B.
2 - VERY loud (I had a headache by the time I left); very crowded; not very clean
Kroger
3.5 - busy but not crowded; much cleaner than H.E.B., but not as clean as other local grocer's
Cashier (scale 1-5; 1 being the worst):
H.E.B.
4 - cashier was friendly and receipt total was correct
Kroger
1 - cashier made me feel very rushed and I was charged for 21 ears of corn, which I didn't notice this until I arrived home and was comparing my receipts.
Price Comparison (I bought the exact same items at each grocer)
H.E.B.
.34 1 bunch cilantro
.67 2 ears yellow corn
.98 HEB 1 lb. kidney beans
.33 2 bananas
1.64 2 anjou pears
1.38 1 lb. strawberries
1.68 1 head green leaf lettuce
.36 2 roma tomatoes
.48 1 cucumber
1.50 1 lg. avocado
1.01 1 lb. red seedless grapes
H.E.B. total $10.37
Kroger
.50 1 bunch cilantro
.20 2 ears yellow corn (If I had been charged the correct amount)
.99 1 lb. Kroger kidney beans
.39 2 bananas
1.43 2 anjou pears
2.00 1 lb. strawberries
.88 1 bunch green leaf lettuce
.41 2 roma tomatoes
.55 1 cucumber
1.59 1 large avocado
1.95 1 lb. red seedless grapes
Kroger total $10.89
Hmmm ... a difference of $0.52 ... I think these two grocers should reduce their advertising budgets and pass those savings onto the consumer ... What are your thoughts?

8 comments:

  1. Hi,hope you are feeling much better now, I notice that every time I go to town to shop more and more people are checking their dockets before leaving. We live in a small town and to buy anything other than bread and milk is just too expeensive for eg in the supermarket a pack of chewing gum is $1.80 at our newsagents it is $2.00 pkt at our little shop it is $2.55!!!!now we are 10 minutes from the next large town it just does not add up that they add this much. It is buyer beware that is for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am feeling better, thank you. Glad you stopped by and I look forward to seeing you again.

    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. B:

    Thank you for taking the time to relieve my thoughts of this worry. I never had the time to do the price comparison shopping and now I don't have to. Thank you, thank you!

    I have run into the same problems with HEB being so stinking crowded that you cannot even get down the isle to compare prices with other items. You are rushed by other customers to "get out of the way".

    I only wish that someone would compare Kroger's to Walmart. (hint hint) LOL.

    And lastly, I am so glad you are feeling better.

    I love you!
    Mrs. A

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mrs. A,

    Thank you for stopping in ... now, you know that I have "issues" with Wal-mart, but you are such a fabulous friend I'll consider doing a comparison - just for you ...

    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs. B! I am sorry I did not write yet. I wish I had known, to be praying. I am so thankful you are on the mend.
    Need to write, tonight, and send tomorrow. We apparently both have so much to talk about that is new.
    Much love,
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jess!

    I'm so glad you had a few moments to stop by my blog today. It sounds like your life has been as busy and hectic as mine.
    I look forward to hearing from you AND I hope I will be better at keeping in touch.
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this wonderful information. I agree...reduce ad costs and pass the savings on to the consumer.

    Glad you are feeling better.

    ~Mrs. M

    ReplyDelete
  8. As always, Mrs. M,
    It was an absoulute delight to log-in and find that you'd stopped by. I have some tenative plans to do a little more comparison shopping and I'll be sure to post my findings.

    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read my blog and leave a comment. I try my best to respond to each one. God Bless You, Mrs.B