Tuesday, March 13, 2012

What If ...

Earlier today I spoke via telephone with Mrs. A, my dearest and closest friend and sister in Christ.  We've known each other for about 10 years and our sons grew up together attending the same church.  We both have sons actively serving our nation's armed forces.

Her son, GM, has received word that he may again be deployed later this year.  Our JP has also received news that he may be deployed to the same region during the same time period.  I always experience a catch in my breath whenever I am told either of them will be deployed - it is the life of a family whose children serve our nation.  Today, Mrs. A shared with me that she told JP that having him & GM deployed to the same region at the same time might be too much for her.  JP tried to reassure her that part of his job was to ensure that GM's department was protected.  Unfortunately, this did not ease her mind as she then recalled that JP's department is most vulnerable to friendly fire. With a crack in her voice that is caused only by tears in her eyes, Mrs. A asked me, "What if GM's department was responsible for friendly fire ...?

Hmmm, what if ... I tried to reassure her by reminding her that our sons voluntarily chose to serve our nation.  With full disclosure they voluntarily chose the departments and jobs they perform.  I also told her that we MUST trust the Lord regarding our sons and whatever the future brings.  Unfortunately I am not very witty nor quick minded when placed on the spot regarding emotional situations.  Instead of my silly rambling, I wish I had shared ...

Proverbs 3:5-6:  "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thy own understanding.  In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths."

Psalms 46:1-3:  "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.  Therefore we will not fear, though the earth be moved, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof."

1 Peter 5:7:  "Casting all your care upon Him; for He careth for you."

John 16:33:  "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace.  In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."

Psalm 37:24:  "Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; for the Lord upholdeth him with His hand."

Psalms 138:7:  "Though I walk in the midst of trouble, thou wilt revive me: thou shalt stretch forth thine hand against the wrath of mine enemies, and thy right hand shall save me."

Psalms 18:2:  "The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high power."

I don't know what the future holds for our families.  But I do know that we can live with confidence that when the times of sorrow, pain, tribulations or trials do come, God has promised to bring us through them.

4 comments:

  1. Again...I cry. The Lord's words are so comforting and He used you to bring them to me.

    I love you!
    Mrs. A

    ReplyDelete
  2. we pray for our soldiers very single night....I wish those men and women knew how many hearts lift them up in prayer....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Momto8,

    We greatly appreciate y'alls prayers. Thank you.
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Lord gave you this post for a reason. Now let's add Isaiah 43:1 & 2

    God please be with our babies!!!

    I love you Mrs B!

    -Mrs A

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read my blog and leave a comment. I try my best to respond to each one. God Bless You, Mrs.B