Saturday, July 28, 2012

Want to Reduce the Grocery Bill?

Check out Bountiful Baskets Food Co-Op (www.bountifulbaskets.org) to see if they deliver to a location near you.  For $45.00 this week I received two baskets and 5 loaves of organic multi-grain bread.
Our baskets included 2 heads romaine lettuce, 3 boxes grape tomatoes, 2 lg. bags red grapes, 7 1/2 pints blueberries, 4 red bell peppers, 2 bags baby carrots, 4 English cucumbers, 17 red potatoes, 10 peaches, 14 red plums and 8 mangoes.
The produce is delivered to our small town's community center every other Saturday.  Not only did I save almost 68%, I saved a 1/4 tank of fuel by not having to drive 90 miles to get it!

During Mrs.A's visit, we boiled and de-boned two chickens so she could prepared her famous King Ranch casserole for for us, one of my family's favorites!  It is a rare day that I purchase canned chicken stock.  Whenever I boil and de-bone chickens I freeze or can the stock (always use a pressure caner for low acid or animal based foods).  The six quarts of home canned stock, pictured above, would cost more than $12 at the grocer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read my blog and leave a comment. I try my best to respond to each one. God Bless You, Mrs.B